Everything You Need To Know About White Box Testing
Everything You Need To Know About White Box Testing
White box testing is a type of application testing that gives the tester access to the tested application’s source code and design documentation. Several approaches to automatically generating test cases have been put forth. However, most of these are structural testing methods that require knowledge of the program’s underlying workings.
The combined practical coverage of all testing methodologies is less. Out of the many available approaches, white box testing has emerged successfully and is widely used now.
What Is White Box Testing?
As opposed to black box testing, which focuses only on functionality, white box testing works around internal data structures, internal design, code structure, and operation of the software. Due to its varied functionality, white box testing is also known as structural, clear, and glass box testing. Transparent and open-box testing are other names for white-box testing. The names all signify how transparent the working of this testing approach is due to the clarity of its inner workings.
White box testing examines a software’s infrastructure and emphasizes comparing predetermined inputs to anticipated and intended outputs. It is based on an application’s internal operations and centers on internal structure testing.
The creation of test cases for this kind of testing necessitates programming knowledge. Focusing on the inputs and outputs through the software and enhancing its security are the main objectives of white box testing.
What Do You Verify in White Box Testing?
The following measures are taken into account when doing white box testing:
- Checking and reviewing for security flaws in the source of the code
- Looking out and testing any path that is incomplete or broken
- To confirm the structure’s logical flow as described in the software requirement document
- To examine the software’s general functionality and the conditionality of all loops
- To ensure that all anticipated results are achieved
- Code verification is executed line by line and systematically
With all of the above-mentioned measures, white box testing’s primary objective is to confirm the application’s appropriate, systematic functioning and flow. The test cases are then run, and the results are examined and compared to the desired results. Then, if any of the outputs do not match the expected results, a defect has been found.
How Do You Perform White Box Testing?
The process of performing white box testing is as under:
- Comprehending the code:
Analyzing and understanding the application’s source code is the first and most important step. Understanding the internal organization and mapping of the code will aid a tester in properly testing the program. Gaining a deeper understanding of the source code will also make it easier to recognize and create the crucial test cases that expose security flaws and aid in reaching 100% test coverage. Testers need to be aware of the security risks associated with the product because application security is the main objective.
- Creation and execution of test cases:
To guarantee that the software has been thoroughly tested, the second stage entails writing test cases based on the statement, the decision, the condition coverage, and their execution. Coverage is regarded as being the most crucial element when we talk about testing. There are various varieties and approaches for every form of white box testing. The tester will create test cases by classifying the applications into a statement, decision, or condition branch categories.
Types Of White Box Testing
- Unit Testing:
Unit testing is used to validate the functionality of each component or feature of an application. This makes it easier to ensure that the application complies with design criteria during the development phase.
- Integration testing:
Integration testing concerns how different parts of an application interact with one another. Following unit testing, it ensures that each component functions well and adds that it can cooperate with other components to produce the desired result.
- Regression testing:
Modifications have the potential to break an application. After an application receives functionality or security upgrades, regression testing verifies that the code still passes the previous test cases.
Advantages Of White Box Testing
- As white box testing focuses on the complete code and even the structures of the code are tested, it is considered quite thorough and accurate.
- It also leads to the optimization of code and the elimination of errors, and it aids in trimming and cutting back superfluous lines of code.
- Unlike black box testing, it can be started at any moment in the process as it functions without an interface requirement.
- It is extremely simple to automate.
- Starting white box testing is simple within the software development life cycle.
- The coding during the process is very simplified and easy to understand.
- Transparency of the internal code architecture aids in determining the kind of input data required to test an application properly.
- This includes every potential code route and enables a software engineering team to do thorough application testing (JavaPoint).
- It is a time-consuming, expensive process that calls for programming expertise, coding knowledge, and the abilities of an experienced professional.
- Another major drawback is the high pricing associated with the testing process.
- It is also tedious as the test cases must be written again after code redesign and rewriting.
- Unlike black & white box testing requires that the testers have an extensive understanding of the code and programming language.
- Missing functionality cannot be found because the tested code is already in place.
- The process is also sometimes considered to be very complicated and occasionally unreal.
Increase your code quality by getting accurate code review reports. Sign Up on our Automated Code Review Tool now for Free!
After testing, it guarantees that every line of the code is well-read and is at least checked thoroughly once. Just as the two sides of the coin, white box testing has numerous advantages and disadvantages. It is a useful mechanism that can guarantee quality and correct code for any product.
Testing an application is a crucial step for its success. For the same, a lot of application testing processes exist. Out of the many, white box testing is an effective, straightforward, and exact process.
Liked what you read? Subscribe and get fresh updates.
P.S. Don’t forget to share this post
Post a Comment